Alternate Option
Thoughts from me.
Monday, May 09, 2005 1:19 pm
One macro a day — AppleScript etc.
I bought Matt Neuberg’s AppleScript The Definitive Guide around September of 2004. It's quite a good book. I have enjoyed it lots. I read the first half, then tried some scripts out. And since January this year, have been trying to write at least one script a day. No matter how simple. One script that partially automates my computer. I do use both iKey (version 1.0.7) and AppleScript as they complement each other.

I now use Matt's book as a reference-type book. Other resources that have been useful have been Apple’s own AppleScript Language Guide, MacOSXHints and Google.

Google has been quite useful, since I can append “AppleScript” to searches to limit them. e.g. google Camino “new tabs” applescript. No, I haven’t figured out a good way to automate Camino's tabs.

So far, I’m quite pleased with my progress. The scripts I have written are simple to the extreme, but at least AppleScript is no longer the big dark mystery it once was. And I have a great appreciation of Automator's functionality. I think Automator is a really big achievement for Apple.

[posted with ecto]

Technorati Tags: , , , ,


Get Firefox! Powered by ecto
Get Camino! RSS Digest
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Recent Thoughts
Archived Thoughts
Del.icio.us Bookmarks
Stories I’ve Dugg