Alternate Option
Thoughts from me.
Thursday, September 08, 2005 1:07 pm
iTunes AppleScripts podcasts
iTunes 5 looks gorgeous. That’s subjective… but I like it.

Given that I interact with iTunes daily, the new glossy tweaked interface is a significant change. The second thing I went hunting for is new AppleScript features. Sure enough there are a few new commands. The ones most useful to me was the updateAllPodcasts command.

To AppleScript neophytes on the Mac platform, copy and paste this into Script Editor (in the utilities folder):

tell application "iTunes" to updateAllPodcasts

Click the “Run” button to launch iTunes launch (if not already), and simulate a click on the podcast “Update” button. Trivial, but niiiice. Optionally, save the script as an application that can be launched PRN.

I have yet to find an AppleScript action that changes the iTunes output to AirTunes speakers, which is a pity. I won’t be looking too hard though: if it’s there, I can be sure that Doug’s AppleScripts will find it in the next few days.

So far, all my other iTunes AppleScripts have worked. No funny DRM limitations have been revealed (yet, too soon). Hopefully this turns out to be a nice positive upgrade. Someone on the MacNN forums lost his iTunes music folder. Thank goodness that didn’t happen to me. And of course, since every Mac user should have an updated working backup of his data, he deserves little sympathy.

[posted with ecto]


Technorati Tags: , , ,


Get Firefox! Powered by ecto
Get Camino! RSS Digest
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

Recent Thoughts
Archived Thoughts
Del.icio.us Bookmarks
Stories I’ve Dugg